My Wish List: 101 Things to do before I die
“Every man dies – Not every man really lives.” ~ William Ross
From day to day, a lot of people that I know had leave me- My great grand parent, my grand parent, and friends had been leave me in the end of their life. I also leave this earth in one day but what I want to do when I have time and healthy for my life, and that idea come up and this list have made, and this is the force and a strange energy to create a day in my life to be special: The Wish List.
What’s a Wish List?
If you haven’t heard about the wish list, it is a list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and life-experiences you desire to experience before you die.
Why Create a Wish List?
Why have a wish list? If you don’t live your days by personal goals and plans, chances are you spend most of your time caught up in a flurry of day-to-day activities. Ever feel your days are passing by without any tangible output to speak of? What were your accomplishments in the past 3 months? What are your upcoming goals for the next 3 months? Look at the things you did and the things you’re planning to do next – Do they mean anything to you if you are to die today? Having a wish list reminds you of what’s really important so you can act on them.
Even if you frequently live by goals or to-do lists, they are probably framed within a certain social context e.g., performance, career, health. A wish list opens up the context. It’s a forum to set anything and everything you’ve ever wanted to do, whether it’s big, small or random.
It’s just like planning ahead all the highlights you want for YOUR whole life. Even though goal setting is already my staple activity, I still found many new things to do while I was writing on my wish list. It was an incredibly insightful exercise. What’s more, coming up with the list it gave me a whole new layer of enthusiasm knowing what’s in store ahead!
The objective of creating a wish list isn’t to instill some kind of a race against time or to create aversion towards death. I don’t see our existence to be limited to just our physical years on earth – I don’t see our existence to be limited to just our physical years on earth – our physical lifespan is but a short speck of our existence in the universe. The whole point of a wish list is to maximize every moment of our existence and live our life to the fullest. It’s a reminder of all the things we want to achieve in our time here, so that instead of pandering our time in pointless activities, we are directing it fully toward what matters to us.
If you don’t have a wish list, I highly recommend you to create one. How much does it cost? Probably 30 minutes to an hour, or more if you get really caught up in the writing :). What do you gain? Significant clarity and focus on what you want from your life. It’s an invaluable exchange.
If you have already written your wish list before, take this opportunity to review it. See if there are new items you want to add-on. If so, add them in. Check if all the items listed are still relevant. If not, remove them.
I think this ‘Before You Die, I want to…’ is part of the Aarhus Festival, it was adopted and reproduced after the artist Candy Chang. Her idea was spread around the world of this using of chalk board to express thoughts and ideas. Basically, the board will be set up somewhere, then people come to write filling up that dotdotdot. Watch her on TedTalk about the original idea at – http://www.ted.com/talks/candy_chang_before_i_die_i_want_to.html?source=facebook#.UEex6yQLfoP.facebook
Start writing down what comes to mind as you read these questions:
- What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- What will you do if you have unlimited time, money and resources?
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have / feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- What would you like to say/do together with other people? People you love? Family? Friends?
- Are there any specific people you want to meet in person?
- What do you want to achieve in the different areas: Social, Love, Family, Career, Finance, Health (Your weight, Fitness level), Spiritual?
- What do you need to do to lead a life of the greatest meaning?
Come up with as many items as you can. The items should be things you have not done yet. Don’t stop until you finish listing at least 101 things! If you find yourself stuck, chances are you are mentally limiting/constraining yourself. Release those shackles – This is a list of everything you want to achieve, do, see, feel and experience in your life. Check out the next section for added inspiration.
My Wish List: 101 Things to do before I die
This is my wish list where I list all the things I want to do, feel, experience, see and achieve before I die
I will continuously update this as I complete current items and come across new ones. Don’t just read my wish list though – Create your own too:
- Have a wonderful graduate ceremony with my family and friends
- Become a dancer ( July 2008, the Japanese Festival)
- I want to travel to abroad
- Be the speaker in front of 400 people. (December 2010)
- Be the speaker in front of 500 people.
- Be the speaker in front of 800 people.
- Be the speaker in front of 1,000 people.
- Have my own blog. ( May 2011)
- dance under the rain with loving people.
- visit to Bali Island, Indonesia to see the sunrise.
- Go to the sea with my sister.Kampot (31 Dec 2011-01 Jan 2011)
- Go to the wonderful resort and enjoy a holiday with my family.
- Win the great award from the writing competition.( the 100 Great writer of World Bank International Writing Competition)
- Learn to swim.
- Build a great blog to everyone in the world.
- Join the big corporate company.
- Swim and sleep in the Dead Sea.
- Travel on the flight.
- Having a party on the boat along the Mekong river ( Aug 2011 )
- Gain a big chest muscle. ( Ongoing )
- Become the project manager in the company.
- Open my own business.
- Become the best writer and seller book in the world.
- Visit to the American.
- Visit to the Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia( 24-26 Jan 2011).
- Visit Thailand ( Jan 2011)
- Visit Thailand again.
- Visit The Lion Fish of Singapore.
- Visit the Disneyland, Hong Kong.
- Visit the great wall of China.
- Release my life’s improvement books.
- Have $ 1,000 in my account.
- Visit the idyllic island in Cambodia. ( 1-3 July 2011)
- Have a good deep sleep.
- Handsome revolution project
- Be good at English speaking. (on going)
- Make a happy birthday party for my sister (20 April)
- see snow
- sing a song to the audience
- make friends at least 5 stranger on the street
- write an inspiration letter to myself
- Go to join in the TedTalk Cambodia
- Be the speaker in the TedTalk Cambodia
- Dance with a beautiful girl for boy or with a handsome boy for girl
- Dance with with my parent
- Act in film
- Get a complete make over ( Change everything from hair style, hair color, image, and clothes) and get a different look one which you never have thought of trying
- Fall asleep on the grassy plains
- Talk at least 10 people about this wish list
- Read the book that inspire me
- see snow
- do something completing crazy and act out of character
- organize a picnic
- flight a first class, business class, and economic class
- have dinner with someone that you had dream of meeting with.
- Tell my parent or sibling that you love them
- fall in love
- help some in need
- go skiing
- feature in magazine
- Learn Kong Fu, Takwando, Yu Do, or Karate
- Fly a sky
- watch a cherry blossom in Japan
- Fall in love
- Go a date
- Experience a sunrise
- Experience a sunset
- ride a horse
- Resign from a job you do not like
- I want to run a marathon
- I want to drive a car
- I want to create a you tube Channel
- Learn to tie a tie
- I want to talk with parent and sibling for one hour happily
- I want to become the CEO of my life
- I want to become a strong person, confident, mature, leader and good manager.
- I want to have a luxury car
- I want to help the world a better place to leave
- I want to release a book in 2012.
- I would like to have a million dollar in my account
- I want to be on the media_ CTN21
- BE a good look guy.
- I would like to have an ipad
- I want to have a smart phone- iPhone 5 or HTC
- BE a successful man and leave name on the earth
- I would like to visit Ratanak iri
- I would like to visit Mondul kiri
- I want to have a healthy, youthful body and strong.
- Join a volunteer job
- Have a wonderful party with friends
- Watch the fire fly in the night
- Watch the star rise in the night
- Watch the eclipse
- Join in the red carpet party
- Be a popular in the community
- Have a wonderful and surprise birthday party with friends for myself
- Become an outstanding students. (got award from Cambodian Mekong University from 2007 -2012)
- Become a guest speaker
- Get an invitation for joining in the international conference
- Get an interview with the domestic radio and international
- Have a wonderful trip with my family.
Get Into Action!
After you finish your wish list, here’s what to do next:
- Start acting on them! Plan out the successful path towards these goals
- Be reminded of the list all the time. Use environmental reinforcement – put them up in a prominent spot where you will see them every day / very regularly. Put it in your handbook, set it as your wallpaper, pin it on your noticeboard, print it out, stick it on your wardrobe/locker.
- Share them with your family and friends. Inspire them to create their own wish list too! This way, you also create accountability to your own wish list.
- Don’t limit your wish list items to a certain definition. Sometimes opportunity present itself in a totally different manner. Keep your eyes peeled! The universe will start throwing things your way.
- Review regularly. Cross out the list of things after you do them. See if some of the items have become irrelevant and if there are new things you want to add. Just as you finish the items, you’ll add new ones as they come along. There is absolutely no reason why our wish list should ever be empty. There is such an incredible wealth of things, events, activities, experiences to witness/go through in life that it’s impossible that we will ever be done with living. Likewise for me, I’m continuously completing and adding on new items that will help me live my life to the fullest, so my wish list always has new items to accomplish.
Challenge with ME!
Please create a wish list one for yourself. Please share your wish list with me and your friends. You can do the best one in your blog, your facebook note, or on a blank paper and google doc and please share a link in the comment box. I can not wait to see yours.
- My Wish List: 101 Thing to do before I die
- Celestine Chau: A great inspire from her to make this one .
- You are next ……
Thanks for joining in movement and please taste the life of success.